Please be sure to comment so I'll know you've visited my blog. :)

November 6, 2011

PrompTuesday

In the meantime, today’s PROMPT is: The phone call. Write about a call you received that changed your life.




Yes, I realize that it’s not Tuesday but I’ve not been feeling up to snuff this week so I’m just now getting around to this. In case you havent read previous posts San Diego Momma posts something to her blog every Tuesday for us {who need some pushing to keep up with our blogs} to write about. Here’s a link to her blog http://sandiegomomma.com/. You can also follow her on twitter @sandiegomomma. I highly recommend both.



The phone call that changed my life:



I don’t remember the exact day but it was in August of 1997. I’d just buried my Dad about 2-3 weeks prior after having only known him for 7 short years. I’d always known that I had 2 older siblings from my Dad’s previous Army tour of duty & 1st marriage. My oldest Brother’s name is Roger and he lives in Germany. Always has & we’ve never met. My oldest Sister’s name was Laura. I wasn’t sure where she lived & we’d never met. My only other sibling {with the same Dad} was stillborn 10 months prior to my premature birth.






The phone rang and in a rush of kids in and out, cooking & cleaning I grabbed the phone off the wall & said a quick Hello. A voice on the other end that did not sound familiar asked to speak with me. When I said this is she, the person said I might want to sit down. Apparently a great Aunt had seen the obituary in the newspaper in OH where most of my family lives & had called another family member who had told my oldest Sister Laura, or Lori as she prefers to be called, that our Dad had passed. A couple calls later and she & I were on the phone together for the first time in our lives. It seemed surreal to be speaking with a sibling I did not know. It’s like talking to a stranger but one you have a bond with before you ever meet.






We still live 500 miles apart and don’t get to see each other or talk as often as we’d like but family is important to me regardless. I now have a Sister, 2 Nieces, 1 great Nephew & 1 great Niece in my life that I didn’t have prior to that phone call.

No comments:

Post a Comment